It’s finally Friday! (Am I the only one who sings that song regularly on Fridays? I sure hope not!)
I am feeling a bit sore today because yesterday after running a mile for warm-up, my friend Lindsay and I tried a new NikeFit workout called “Dynamic Kettlebell” — it was intense!
I absolutely love the NikeFit app! This workout was 30 minutes long and kept us engaged the whole time. It worked our legs, butts, abs, and arms in different ways and I am definitely feeling it today! I just hope the soreness doesn’t stick around so I’m ready to go for my 5k race tomorrow. It’s my first ever race and I’m a little nervous; I am in no way a runner but I do love a challenge and I’m excited to participate in this event!
After my workout I was super hungry so I came home and started cooking up a delicious and filling meal — my mom’s famous lasagna! This was an absolute favorite of mine (growing up I requested it for my birthday meal every year) and it is always a crowd pleaser. I thought I’d share it with you today so you too can appreciate my mom’s amazingness. 🙂
Momma B’s Lasagna
-1 pound ground beef
-1 Tbsp parsley flakes
-1 Tbsp basil
-1 1/2 tsp salt
-2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
-12 oz tomato paste (I use the kind with no salt added; if yours has salt, I recommend not adding the full amount of salt listed above)
Ingredients for cottage cheese layer:
-3 c. cottage cheese
-2 beaten eggs
-2 tsp salt (I usually do a little less)
– 1/2 tsp pepper
-2 Tbsp parsley flakes
-9 lasagna noodles (I use brown rice pasta noodles)
-1 lb mozzerella cheese
-parsley to sprinkle on top
1. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet and add the rest of the ingredients once you drain the meat. Simmer the mixture until the sauce is thick (approx. 30 minutes), stirring occasionally.
2. While the sauce is thickening, boil the lasagna noodles. As the noodles are boiling, pre-heat the oven to 375.
3. Mix together the ingredients listed above for the “cottage cheese layer.” (Not gonna lie, this mixture doesn’t look very appealing but just trust me, it will be worth it!)
4. Rinse the lasagna noodles in a colander. By this time, the sauce should be close to finished.
5. Place 3 noodles on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Next, put half of the cottage cheese mixture on top. It’s okay if the mixture doesn’t actually cover all the noodles; the meat sauce will even it out. (I use a spatula to smooth each layer).
6. Add half of the meat sauce on top of the cottage cheese and cover with a layer of mozzerella.
8. Top the lasagna with the final three noodles and cover with mozzerella. Sprinkle a bit of parsley on top.
9. Cover the dish with baking foil and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Loved styling my new Stella & Dot bracelet into my casual Friday look!
Cardigan: Bought at consignment store (similar here) ~ Lace Shirt: Express (exact old, similar here) ~ Jeans: American Eagle (similar here) ~ Necklace: Express (old) ~ Renegade Bracelet: Stella Dot (exact here) ~ Arrow Bracelet: Ebay (no longer available)